Did you know that every 30 seconds a child dies of malaria?
Follow any of the United Nations Special Envoy for Malaria's 2010 Social Media Envoys on social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter, and you'll learn simlarly sobering statistics as well as how you can help with intervention and aid efforts to reduce malaria-caused deaths in Africa.
According to the UN, "the Social Media Envoys have agreed to take one social action, such as a tweet on Twitter or wall post on Facebook, in support of malaria control each month for 12 consecutive months." The goal of the campaign is to provide insecticide-treated bed nets to Africans living in malaria-ridden regions.
Social Media Envoys were selected by the Special Envoy based upon the "influence, size and engagement of their Social Web and broadcast audiences."
World Malaria Day is on April 25, 2010. Click here for more information, or follow these 2010 Social Media Envoys to learn what you can do to help:
- Derrick Ashong, Musician, Social Activist & Oprah Radio host; www.twitter.com/ashong
- Veronica Belmont, Host of “Tekzilla” and “Qore” and Internet Personality; www.twitter.com/Veronica
- Mayor Cory Booker of Newark, New Jersey; www.twitter.com/CoryBooker
- Sarah Brown, of the United Kingdom; www.twitter.com/SarahBrown10
- Pete Cashmore, CEO and founder of “Mashable—the Social Media Guide”; www.twitter.com/mashable
- Anderson Cooper, CNN Anchor of “Anderson Cooper 360”; www.twitter.com/andersoncooper
- Dennis Crowley, Co-founder of Foursquare; www.twitter.com/DENS
- Anil Dash, Director of Expert Labs and Partner at Activate; www.twitter.com/anildash
- Justine Ezarik “iJustine”, Internet Personality; www.twitter.com/iJustine
- Jack Gray, CNN Producer/Writer for “Anderson Cooper 360”; www.twitter.com/JackGrayCNN
- Arianna Huffington, Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Huffington Post; www.twitter.com/ariannahuff
- Guy Kawasaki, Co-founder of Alltop.com; www.twitter.com/GuyKawasaki
- Larry King, CNN Host of “Larry King Live”; www.twitter.com/kingsthings
- Loic Le Meur, Founder and CEO of Seesmic; www.twitter.com/Loic
- Alyssa Milano, Actress; www.twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano
- Dave Morin, Former Facebook executive- responsible for Facebook Connect and Platform; www.twitter.com/davemorin
- Jeff Pulver, Founder of 140 Characters Conference (#140conf) and Co-founder of VoIP (Vonage); www.twitter.com/jeffpulver
- Kevin Rose, Founder of Digg; www.twitter.com/kevinrose
- Chris Sacca, Founder of Lowercase Capital; www.twitter.com/sacca
- Ryan Seacrest, Founder, Ryan Seacrest Productions; www.twitter.com/RyanSeacrest
- Biz Stone, Co-founder of Twitter; www.twitter.com/biz
- Padmasree Warrior, CTO of Cisco; www.twitter.com/padmasree
- Jon Wheatley, Co-founder of DailyBooth.com; www.dailybooth.com/jon
- Randi Zuckerberg, Director of Marketing, Facebook; www.facebook.com/Randi
Post a Comment